John V. Madormo
Few Words From the Author/Publisher:
John Madormo, Chicago area screenwriter, author, and college professor, has created a body of work that has attracted the attention of motion picture producers and publishers. John sold a family comedy screenplay to a Los Angeles production company, signed a contract for a three-book deal with a major New York publisher, and was named the Grand Prize winner of a national writing competition.
· Signed a contract for a three-book deal with Penguin Books for Young Readers. The middle-grade novel, entitled Charlie Collier, Snoop for Hire, is a tale about a 12-year-old private detective who sets up shop in his parents’ garage and solves cases for fellow sixth-grade classmates. Book #1 – “The Homemade Stuffing Caper” was released in 2012. Book #2 – “The Camp Phoenix Caper” came out in 2013. Book #3 – “The Copycat Caper” hit bookstore shelves in 2014. And Book#4 – “The Buried Treasure Caper,” was released in 2017. The book series has been embraced by educators on a national scale:
Chicago Public Schools - Battle of the Books (2013-14)
Quizlet's (national) Battle of the Books (2013-14)
Novel Quest (national) Battle of the Books (2013-14)
Des Moines (IA) Public Schools Battle of the Books (2013-14)
“The Homemade Stuffing Caper” was nominated for the 2015-16 Iowa Children’s Choice Awards
International Spy Museum (Washington D.C.) added Book 1 to its “Recommended Books for Kids”
Scholastic’s Book Experts gave “5-Star” reviews to all three books in the series
Books 1 & 2 were added to Follett’s list of books for “Struggling and Reluctant Readers”
Barnes & Noble placed Book 1 on it “Must Read List” (June, 2012)
Bank Street College of Education (NY) - Best Children's Books of 2013 (Book 1)
Bank Street College of Education (NY) - Best Children's Books of 2014 (Book 2)
· Signed a contract with Zumaya Publications (Austin, TX) for a middle-grade series titled, “The Adventures of Rutherford, Canine Comic.” Book 1 debuted in the fall of 2020. Book 2 will be released in the fall of 2022. Rutherford, Canine Comic is the first book in a middle-grade novel series features the exploits of a basset hound whose only goal in life is to become a family watchdog. But when an accident on a dark dirt road leaves Rutherford with two broken legs, his dreams of protecting the hearth soon fade. He reluctantly accepts the fact that he must now find a new career--one that will pay the bills. Rutherford turns to the glitz and glamour of the stage, and a career as a stand-up comedian.
· Signed a contract with The Wild Rose Press (Adams Basin, NY) for a young adult novel series. “The Summer of Guinevere” debuted in April of 2019, and the sequel, “The Autumn of Andie” was released in August of 2020. This series follows the exploits of Paulie Passero, a shy, misunderstood teen who has never had the courage to ask a girl out on a date, and who longs for a lasting relationship.
· Sold a family comedy screenplay, “Coach Dracula”, to Dog & Rooster Productions, Studio City, CA.
· Optioned a family comedy screenplay, “Two-Faced!”, to Doris Roberts (“Everybody Loves Raymond”) Enterprises. Ms. Roberts and her manager/son, Michael Cannata held the rights for three years.
· Completed a screenplay adaptation of the young adult novel, THE GHOST OF LIZARD LIGHT by Elvira Woodruff, for Flatiron Films producers of the 2000 release "Pay It Forward" starring Kevin Spacey and Helen Hunt).
John has placed in the following screenwriting competitions:
Grand Prize winner in the Reno Film Festival Best Synopsis Contest, and took First Place for Best Family Film Synopsis (“Paulie Perkins, P.I.”)
First Place winner for Best Family Film Synopsis at the Reno Film Festival Best Synopsis Contest (“Dream Machine”).
Top 10 finalist in the BenderSpink Open Door Screenwriting Contest (“Paulie Perkins, P.I.”)
Finalist in the StoryPros Award Screenplay Contest (“Paulie Perkins, P.I.”)
2nd Place in the Comedy Division at the Chicago Screenwriters Network Midwest Screenwriting Contest (“The Boys’ Club”)
Top Ten Finalist in the Movie Script Contest Golden Brad Awards (“The Boys’ Club”)
Finalist in the WriteMovies.com International Writing Competition (“Kid Comedy”)
John has entered into option agreements with the following motion picture production companies:
Paulette Breen Productions Anton Communications
Flatiron Films Rearguard Productions
Bonnie Raskin Productions Anton Communications
Brainstorm Media Awesome Entertainment
Doris Roberts Enterprises Dog & Rooster Productions